Below you will find 10 easy to follow tips to help you on the way to a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Enjoy it! – Find an activity you absolutely love doing, this way you are much more likely to keep it up.
- It doesn’t have to cost a fortune – There is no need to fork out for expensive gym memberships, going for a brisk walk or dancing round your front room are both free and great ways to burn unwanted calories!
- Friends & Family– You’re more likely to keep doing an activity if your friends or family members are going with you, and you can help encourage and support one another.
- Healthy eating – Diet and exercise work hand in hand with each other, so as well as keeping active try to eat healthy nutritious food and you will feel better in no time.
- Walk more. Why not walk to college or work instead of taking the bus or driving? Take the stairs instead of the lift? Little changes like this to your everyday lifestyle will make a big difference to your fitness.
- Small changes make a difference- If 30 minutes of physical exercise seems like a lot to start with, try doing several short bursts of activity throughout the day.
- Pace yourself – It’s easy to get carried away when exercising but it’s important to work at a steady pace, working your way up to longer more strenuous sessions.
- Don’t be a bore. If jogging and exercise classes aren’t your thing, then why not try something a little more unusual like trampolining or karate, you’ll be getting fit and having fun, while learning a new skill.
- Reward yourself- Set yourself goals and when you complete them, give yourself a treat. Think of things that you could reward yourself with, like a copy of your favourite magazine, a new CD or a massage.
- You, you you! Always remember that you are exercising for yourself, to make you feel and look better, both inside and out!